Install finance quote

Tim Frost timfrost at xtra.co.nz
Thu Sep 17 05:15:37 EDT 2009

Xavier,

On Wed, 2009-09-16 at 23:09 +0200, Xavier LAROSE wrote:
> I  have download from www.cpan.org :
> perl-5.10.1
> Finance-Quote-1.16
> Unpacked them on mu user name

> and when I execute the commands, it does not work. I have tried
> different ways :
>
> Last login: Wed Sep 16 22:56:32 on ttys000
> xavierlarose-2:~ xavierlarose$ /usr/bin/perl  Makefile.pl
> Can't open perl script "Makefile.pl": No such file or directory
Is this for the downloaded perl, or for the finance-quote package?

For finance-quote, you need to be in the directory that it unpacked to,
which is likely to be  ~/Finance-Quote-1.16/ (assuming that you did the
untar in your home directory)

The correct file name is Makefile.PL so, for a case-sensitive OS,  the
command line should be
   perl Makefile.PL

Although Jed suggests explicitly using /usr/bin/perl:
On Tue, 2009-09-15 at 14:04 -0500, Jed Diem wrote:
> Download the perl module from CPAN, unpack it and then change to the
> directory the module was unpacked into.
As I indicate above, since the download is of Finance-Quote-1.16, the
probable base directory is ~/Finance-Quote-1.16/

> From this directory execute the commands:
>
> /usr/bin/perl  Makefile.pl

As I indicate, the above should be
/usr/bin/perl  Makefile.PL

> /usr/bin/make
> /usr/bin/make test
> /usr/bin/make install
>
> --jed diem

Note that Jed's instructions will install the module in the local part
of the tree for the system perl package.  If you built your own version
of perl, and use that, the module will install in the local part of that
perl installation.

Tim

--
Tim Frost <timfrost at xtra.co.nz>