Memorised transactions and tab operation

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Sat Sep 19 05:47:17 EDT 2009

2009/9/18 Maf. King <maf at chilwell.net>:
> On Friday 18 September 2009 20:35:37 Colin Law wrote:
>> Hi
>> When entering transactions directly into the register, having entered
>> the description and hitting tab, if there is a matching memorised
>> transaction the rest of the transaction is filled in for me.  This is
>> a great feature and saves a lot of typing.  However what I do not like
>> is the way tab skips the transfer field and goes straight to the value
>> fields.  The problem is that if the transfer account required is not
>> the memorised one then it is necessary to start back-tabbing or using
>> the mouse to get back there.  Personally I would prefer it to fill in
>> the transaction but just tab to the transfer field.  Is there any way
>> to suppress the skipping of the transfer field (but still having the
>> memorised transaction filled in)?
>>
>> Colin L
>
> HI Colin,
>
> View -> Auto-Split Ledger may be more to your liking, although you may find
> yourself typing the numbers twice... (2.2.7 here on my laptop)

I had a go with that and it is not really what I am looking for, the
standard Basic Ledger is perfect except for the fact that tab skips
straight to the value when it enters a memorised transaction.  Not
that it is a big deal, just a detail that would be an improvement for
me, I wondered whether others might agree.

> Failing that, I think that you may have found a bug in terms of expected
> behaviour.

I think it is expected behaviour, documented in section 6.3.1
(Entering Directly in the Register Window,
http://svn.gnucash.org/docs/help/trans-enter.html#trans-reg-enter)
item 4.

Perhaps I should have a look at the code and see if I can add it as an
option, if that would be acceptable.

Colin L