Multi-currency

Timothy Wight tim.wight at kihoe.net
Wed Sep 23 19:50:56 EDT 2009

Absolutely, I left that unsaid, and it is in my view another argument
for fixing the problem  (Sorry - I'm not trying to rain on your
parade).  I used a single year end transaction to gather up all gains
and losses and post accordingly, although that meant I could not
distinguish performance of currencies - something a trader might want.

For my application (retailer, buying foreign, selling local) there were
three significant benefits to using Trading Accounts rather than GnuCash
Multicurrency as-is:
1) The accounts truly balanced
2) It stopped Gnucash from mistaking unrealised losses from realised ones
3) It was possible to assign realised losses to income/expense accounts
by a normal transaction.

If we go this route then I agree that trading accounts should not be
Income.  I always made mine type Bank, as while they  contained funds
were really current assets.