Placeholder Accounts report 0 balances, why?

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Sat Apr 3 11:57:27 EDT 2010

> Can the font size be changed, so that we can print more accounts per
> page? I don't seem to be able to change any aspect of the way things
> print, in fact when I tried to do a print preview it crashed!
>
> I know this is all minor, however, a neat and well organized set of
> financial statements is important to how a company/individual is
> perceived when dealing with banks and other financial institutions.
>
> This summer I may want to help make some changes to the reporting
> area. I will let you know.
>
> Regards,
> Jay

Part of a bigger question. At least in MY case, any reports which would
have to be filed with some agency would need to be edited far more than
would be reasonable from WITHIN an accounting system. When I raised the
question with the person who helps put reports into GAAP format whether
I should write custom reports to do this he said "don't bother" (he
would prefer using his own favorite editor).

In other words, you ask GnuCash to produce the "raw" report. You export
this and then bring the data into what can be edited with the preferred
editor and edit it there. No need to play with things like font size
until then. What editor(s) you choose to use would depend on all sorts
of things including just how "pretty" the final report needs to be
(perhaps even using a "typesetting" editor like LaTex because ending in
up in a glossy printed annual report book of the organization -- but
obviously not going nearly that far if just "home use"). Even for the
same organization can depend on which report. Thus for the MA Chapter of
the American Chestnut Foundation only the annual (4th quarter) reports
get done up GAAP* and the other three quarters I just bring simpler
versions to the board meetings.

It is simply not reasonable to expect that capability from WITHIN the
accounting package, especially when you consider that every jurisdiction
has different rules about how reports are to be presented.

Michael

* When completed in GAAP format, the annual is less than half just the
numbers -- an awful lot of ordinary text spelling out things like
accounting conventions used, depreciation policy (as a non tax paying
entity we can choose fairly freely but have to SAY what the policy is),
notes explaining any amounts that were out of the ordinary or would
otherwise be misleading without explanation.