Multiple .gnucash directories?

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Tue Apr 6 15:46:55 EDT 2010

On Apr 6, 2010, at 10:42 AM, Chris Dennis wrote:

> Hello folks
>
> Is it possible to configure GnuCash to use a directory other than ~/.gnucash for its settings?
>
> I need to (temporarily) run different versions of GnuCash without them changing each other's settings.

Yes, mostly. You can set the environment variable GNC_DOT_DIR to whatever you like, and that will redirect most of the .gnucash files to that other directory (all of them from 2.3.11 on). But GConf also keeps some of the settings, and its directories are (I think) hard-coded to ~/.gconf.

Regards,
John Ralls