Purchases in a foreign currency

Paul A. abrahams at acm.org
Tue Apr 6 20:08:36 EDT 2010

I more or less understand how GnuCash handles accounts in different
currencies, but I still wonder how to handle individual transactions in
different currencies.  My Visa account is denominated in USD, and I want to
keep it that way.  If I travel to France, say, and pay for a hotel bill with
my Visa card, I know what I paid in euros.  But is there any easy way to
enter that transaction in USD?

An extra complication: exchange rates vary with time, so I need the exchange
rate at the time of the transaction, not as of today.  Can GnuCash help me
with that?