Need to recover from system crash

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Wed Apr 7 04:11:26 EDT 2010

On Wednesday 7 April 2010, Michael J. O'Donnell wrote:
> My Lenovo ThinkPad T61, running Ubuntu Karmic Koala
>
> > odonnell at Tumbleweed:~$ cat /proc/version
> > Linux version 2.6.31-9-rt (buildd at yellow) (gcc version 4.4.1 (Ubuntu
> > 4.4.1-4ubuntu8) ) #152-Ubuntu SMP PREEMPT RT Thu Oct 15 13:22:24 UTC 2009
>
> crashed, probably due to overheating. There was some file system damage,
> which I repaired with a manual fsck. It did not appear to be serious. I
> don't understand the details of repair with fsck, and I accept proposals
> thoughtlessly, but I have recovered from larger looking problems in the
> past (lots more proposed changes) with no permanent loss of data, and
> this one appeared quite slight.
>
> Now, when I attempt to run gnucash, it fails:
> > odonnell at Tumbleweed:~$ gnucash --debug --extra --nofile
> > gnc.bin-Message: main: binreloc relocation support was disabled at
> > configure time.
> >
> > ERROR: In procedure append:
> > ERROR: Wrong type argument in position 1 (expecting NULLP):
>
> Before the first line ("gnc.bin-Message: ..."), I get the popup window
> complaining that Gnucash "Cannot find default values", which I have been
> seeing for some time, and I have made sure that ~/.gconf.path is
> correct, so I just select "Skip":

This warning message is not about problems with ~/.gconf, but with
/etc/gconf/.

/etc/gconf contains xml schema files that are put there during the GnuCash
installation. They are required for GnuCash to run properly.

I suspect that your hd crash corrupted /etc/gconf or some files therein.

If I were you, I'd uninstall gnucash and reinstall it. That's probably the
easiest way to get the required schema files back.

Geert