Can't Setup Stock Account: Quote not installed properly

Gordon King gwking at magma.ca
Mon Apr 5 12:12:56 EDT 2010

I'm new to GnuCash and preparing to import data from Quicken.  The problem
will be outlined in point form below, with my guess as to what is most
relevant listed first.

GnuCash 2.2.9 recently installed in Windows XP Pro Service Pack 3 Version
5.1

Clicking "Install Online Price Retrieval" in the GnuCash Start Menu results
in the following message in the Command Prompt Window: 'perl' is not
recognized .Please install ActivePerl 5.8 . add the bin directory to your
path environment variable

Online price retrieval is not my short term goal.  Reading Google searches
on Quote not installed properly led me to conclude that installing Quote
would solve my immediate problem of setting up Stock and Mutual Fund
accounts.  The Quote error message appears in the New Security Window and
grays out the OK button.  That leaves OK grayed out in the Select Security
Window, which then prevents continuing in New Accounts - Assets with the
Account Type "Stock" selected.

My attempt to set up the account followed the example in the Tutorial and
Concepts Guide in Investments/Setup Investment Portfolio/Example Stock
Account

Any suggestions, either correcting my errors or steps to deal with the Quote
not installed properly error message?  My command prompt knowledge is
limited to vague memories of the basics from the days of DOS.  I am using
GnuCash to keep the simple accounts for a small club for which I am
treasurer.  I therefore don't want to do anything that might blow up
GnuCash.

Happy to provide further details if that will help potential helpers.

Gordon King