Split transactions are the problem

trythis grahamlane at gmail.com
Fri Apr 9 10:45:54 EDT 2010

Paul A. wrote:

>  But I suppose that if you regard the Imbalance account as being as good
> as any other, then everything is still in perfect balance.

The imbalance account is telling you that it is not in perfect balance.  I
could be wrong but it seems that if an accountant was looking at your books,
they would see expenses or income that you just left there and didn't
report.

If someone paid you $300 [Income:labor] and you put $200 in your asset
account [Assets:current:bankX ] and did nothing with the rest.  It goes to
[Imbalance]

Therefore you did not claim this $100.

In your case, you deleted the Income and the bank account portion, but left
the $100. (at least that will be the impression left by any sort of audit or
accountant.)

Are these transactions isolated to your Imbalance account?  You would know
of they were because there will be two transactions for each item, one with
the amount in the right column and one with the amount in the left column,
canceling each other out.  Your Imbalance account would so a 0 balance but
have an even number of transactions in it.

If not, the transactions are still tied to other accounts and if you want
them removed you will have to orphan them.  Select the transactions in
imbalance and move both parts of the split to [Orphan] account and then
delete the entire Orphan account.  Select Orphan account from main account
page, click the delete button on the toolbar, select Delete all transactions
and poof.

This may be too many steps and there may be an easier way.