Stock accounting

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Apr 13 10:32:46 EDT 2010

Hi,

tim at filmchicago.org writes:

> Hi,
>
> Can I track stocks in a single account or does gnucash require
> creating an account for every single stock/bond/option/etc that I buy
> and sell? This seems extremely tedious, I would like to just track all
> stock/bonds at my brokerage in a single account in gnucash.

No.

> According to the user manual I have to create a separate account for
> every single stock.

This is correct.

> Are there any improvements to this in the trunk build versus the 2.9 stable?

This requirement has not changed and will not be changing.  The
requirement of "one commodity per account" will not change.  Generally
people create a Cash Brokerage account and then create subaccounts for
each stock/fund.  Unless you're a day trader it's not that hard to do
this.  For most people you're not buying new stocks day in and day out,
so creating new accounts/commodities isn't a lot of time.