Understanding the generic import transaction manager

Paul A. abrahams at acm.org
Wed Apr 14 17:18:50 EDT 2010

I've managed to import the entire history of my Discover card (in OFX format)
and get the Generic Import Transaction Manager window.  But how do I make
use of it?  And what is the meaning of a checkmark in the A column?

Most transactions have a checkmark in the R column and are shown in green; I
assume that means that the transaction has been reconciled.   Of the others,
some are in red and some in yellow.  The yellow ones have an indication
"UNBALANCED" and a checkmark in the A column.  The red ones have an
indication "Do not import" and no checkmark in the A column.

I tried changing a couple of checkmarks and then clicking OK.  The result
was very unpleasant; the same transaction kept getting inserted into the
account register over and over.  I assume there's a bug causing that
behavior, but how can I get around it?

I assume that neither the yellow ones or the red ones have matching
transactions in the account register, but what is the difference?  If a
transaction is unbalanced, what's the right way to fix it?  It seems that
the only options in this window are to insert or remove checkmarks.  And
what happens to transactions that are in the account register but not in the
import file?