Getting Started for 2010

CFreestone cfstone at cox.net
Fri Apr 16 13:49:10 EDT 2010

Thank you for this  opportunity. We have just installed gnucash and I am trying to learn how to navigate around.

Our situation is that we have a revocable trust which owns all of our assets, and rents out three units (two offices and an apartment).

We do our day to day business from our personal check book.

My question is - should I set up two separate files; one for the trust and another for our personal expenses.

I tried to set up a file for personal and on the third screen, "Choose Accounts to Create" I checked only the "Simple Checkbook" square thinking that I would then add a customized list of accounts later.

On the fourth screen, "Set Up New Accounts", I typed the opening balance shown in my checkbook into the Assets opening balance (I wanted the gnucash to correspond to my checkbook), but after Ifinished the account setup I couldn't find the opening balance in the assets, the current assets, or the checking account under assets, or anywhere else.

I was thinking that I would not enter any opening balance in the set up proceedure, but wait and put it in as the first entry for income.

Thanks for your expertise.

=======
http://www.pctools.com/
=======