Unbounded file growth

Paul A. abrahams at acm.org
Sat Apr 17 22:09:24 EDT 2010

Sure, file size is not a problem on any reasonable computer with respect to
storage.  The problem is with processing time for searches, saves, and any
other operation that requires examining the entire file.  It also shows up
whenever you're visually scanning a longstanding and active account looking
for something in particular, a problem exacerbated by the lack of a "jump to
date" operation for accounts.  Sometimes that's preferable to using the
search function.

In my case there's an additional issue: my file has a lot of old and
messed-up data imported from Quicken.  The more recent parts of the import
are useful; the ancient stuff is not.  I can't just delete those old, closed
bank accounts from fifteen years ago because the "delete account" operation
complains that the old account has read-only transactions, and I don't know
how to bypass that.