Fw: [SPAM] Re: gnucash-user Digest, Vol 85, Issue 28

L Park edog5948 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 20 08:39:14 EDT 2010

----- Forwarded Message ----
From: John Carter <john at jrcarter.com>
To: L Park <edog5948 at yahoo.com>
Sent: Sat, April 17, 2010 1:18:48 PM
Subject: Re: [SPAM] Re: gnucash-user Digest, Vol 85, Issue 28

On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 8:47 AM, L Park <edog5948 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> This is exactly what I want to do.
> But how exactly do I "transfer that excess into A's receivables"?
> How do I specify that the money goes against the Customer A invoice?

If you are not using invoices to track customer billables:
In the transaction where you received the payment from B, only the
amount that he owes is debited to his receivables.
You credit your bank account for the full amount. That leaves an
imbalance in the amount that A owes.
Debit that amount to A' receivables. This balances the transaction.

Make a note in the credit line to the bank that the full amount is a
payment for both A and B. Use invoice #s if available.
In the debit line for A, make a note that the payment came from B.
In the debit line for B, make a note that his payment included the amount for A.

If you are making the entries in the invoice, this can be a little trickier.
In that case, you will need a suspense account.
Debit the amount that B owes into B's receivables, debit the amount
that A owes into the suspense account. Credit the full amount to the
bank.
Then in the invoice for A, credit the suspense account and debit A's
receivables.

John Carter