Sharing Database - Windows/XP

jcinpv John at jrcarter.com
Wed Apr 21 14:40:33 EDT 2010

Phillip Richcreek wrote:

> Mike,
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
>>  One one person can have the database open at at time.
> In retrospect, I can see that my original message implied that I want
> to have the database open for read/write by two users at the same
> time. I don't expect that. But I do want either user/computer to be
> capable of writing to the database, provided no other user has it open
> for write access at the same time.
>
> I failed to state that, when I received the gnucash unable to obtain
> the lock message, no other user had the database open -- neither for
> read-only nor for write. That's what makes me suspect that it's
> something in my Windows configuration that is causing the problem.
>
> I hope someone who is doing what I'm trying to do can help me
> understand where I'm going wrong with my Windows sharing settings.
>
> Phil

If you have GnuCash open on a file, it retains the lock file. If you have
closed the app and the lock file is still there, you can select to open the
file anyway for write access. If that option is not available, then look for
the .LCK file in the folder and remove it. If that file does not exist, then
you have a permissions mismatch between the two computers.

If you leave the app open on one computer and try to open the same file from
another computer, you take a risk in stepping on your own work. If you enter
transactions on one computer and perform save, then go to another computer
where the file was left open and do not do a refresh on the file, then enter
new transactions and perform a save, you lose all the transactions just
saved on the first computer. For this reason alone you must close the app on
one computer before opening the same file from any other computer.