Open read-only - how?

Paul A. abrahams at acm.org
Mon Apr 26 15:59:24 EDT 2010

Phillip Richcreek wrote:

> Is there any way to let the second computer read the file but not be able
> to modify it, when another computer has the file open? Perhaps a GnuCash
> command-line parameter? If not, it might
> be safer to not even offer the Open Anyway option.

I'd be dead without the Open Anyway option. It can, of course, be misused if
you open a file that's already open on another machine.  But as often as not
I encounter a "locked" file even when it's not open on any computer.
Without Open Anyway, I'd have to go in manually and remove the lock -- and
do it correctly.