Gnucash preferences not being stored/read

Mark Jones authentic8 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 29 11:58:42 EDT 2010

On 29/04/2010 16:01, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Mark Jones writes:
>
>> On 28/04/2010 13:22, Mark Jones wrote:
>>
>>> I have a problem with Gnucash for Windows 2.2.9 - remembering any of
>>> my preferences (e.g. recently used files, tips window, new accounts
>>> list set up window etc.). I understand that these settings are
>>> stored under C:\Documents and Settings\<User>\.gconf\ . I can see
>>> the folder and the settings relevant to Gnucash in it but Gnucash
>>> does not appear to be reading this.
>>> [...]
>>>
>> Thanks for the replies so far. In the absence of a reason for why
>> Gnucash stopped picking up settings from the .gconf folder, could
>> anyone tell me how I could just get a fresh version recreated on my
>> system? Even when I uninstall Gnucash and delete the folder it doesn't
>> get recreated again when I re-install Gnucash. I have also tried
>> setting up a new fake set of accounts and changing some preferences
>> but no .gconf folder is created.
>>
>> Does Gnucash normally recreate a base settings folder at start up, or
>> re-installation, time if it's missing? At least knew if it was
>> supposed to do that, I'd have something to go on. It obviously created
>> it once so if I knew when it is supposed to so I could try to get it
>> to do it again.
>>
> It should re-create it at startup.

OK, thanks. I can safely say, then, that it is not doing that at the moment.

>> Looking at the contents of my .gconf folder, there are several
>> subfolders named after particular categories of settings, and in each
>> subfolder is also a single settings file called %gconf.xml. All these
>> files look healthy to me and examining the contents I can see my
>> settings in them which look as they should (e.g. the settings file in
>> the "history" folder contains a reference to my accounts). The only
>> thing I am slightly suspicious of is the settings file under the top
>> folder "apps" is empty.
>>
> Maybe the gconfd-2 executable isn't communicating correctly with gnucash?
> Did your firewall settings change

Windows Firewall is switched off and Kaspersky Internet Security lists
gconfd-2.exe in the "Trusted" category. Kaspersky has been running on
automatic for years and I haven't touched any settings for a few months.

Thanks for your help.
Mark.