Information for tax returns

Berni Elbourn berni at elbournb.fsnet.co.uk
Mon Aug 2 08:46:13 EDT 2010

Howdy,

On 31/07/10 12:44, Derek Atkins wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Berni Elbourn<berni at elbournb.fsnet.co.uk>  writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Gnucash 2.2.9 here. In first year I was able to use the account
>> summary to produce the information my accountant needs for the
>> return. All good.
>>
>> Now in third year trying to get information about year two - the
>> account summary is no good because it includes numbers for previous
>> transactions. I have tried the transaction report, and tax reports but
>> the problem there is that some invoices are showing but were not paid
>> in that trading year.
>
> This is "Cash" v. "Accrual" accounting.  Whenever you use the Invoice
> System you are using Accrual Accounting.  GnuCash does not have a way to
> automatically convert this to "Cash" accounting.  You must do this
> manually (or have your accountant do it manually).

Manually? ;-)

> Basically, you (or your accountant) will reduce your income by the
> outstanding receivables, and reduce your expenses by outstanding
> Payables.

Okay - this looks to be possible using the numbers directly from the
receiveable/payable ageing reports that show unpaid invoices. On
reflection it seems the only/best/safest way to do it with a double
entry system.

I guess it would be nice to combine the reports for an end of year cash
statement for us short form self employed types :-)

>> Is there some way easy way to bend the account summary report to
>> include a start date? This would be perfect.
>
> No, the account summary report is purely about account balances, not
> about changes during a period.  If you want changes during a period you
> should use the P&L (aka Income Statement) report.

That works! Huge thanks.

>> Or is there some way to remove the invoiced but not paid in year
>> entries from the other reports?
>
> Nope.
>
>> By the way: I got close to something nice by using the transaction
>> report on the current account - choosing to show the "other account
>> name" which shows the right description but the accounts are not
>> sorted. Choosing a primary key of "other account names" results in a
>> Report error - An error occured while running the report. Turning off
>> the primary subtotal produces the report. Doh - subtotals are needed.
>>
>> Berni

> -derek

Thanks,
Berni