Gnucash tabs

fastsnip-bcard at yahoo.com fastsnip-bcard at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 7 20:03:34 EDT 2010

I've been using Gnucash for many years now and have also contributed to the
source code.

The tab behavior of the latest version of gnucash 2.2.9 running under Kubuntu is
really counterintuitive and very visually  irritating.

I love the tabs, but I would rather you follow the Firefox tab behavior which is
visually pleasing and intuitive.

Under gnucash, when I have too many tabs open to display all of the tabs, little
arrows appear on the left and right. This is the same as for  Firefox. Where
gnucash departs is that when I want to view a tab that is off screen and click
on the little arrow to scroll the tabs in the proper direction, gnucash scrolls
the screens for the tabs. Firefox simply scrolls the tabs themselves and
continues to display the same screen. Then if I want to change the tab being
viewed, I click on the desired tab.

Scrolling the screens is really irritating and is a much slower method of
changing the tabs displayed.. The Firefox fixed display is much, much better.

Have there been any other complaints about the scrolling tabs and changing
display. I know I can click on a tab that visible to display that tab, but when
there are too many tabs to display and I have to scroll left or right, simply
scrolling the tabs left or right and leaving the screen fixed is less visually
irritating. It's a nice software trick, but not all nice software tricks are
good.

Will the scrolling of the tabs be changed to mimick Firefox or is gnucash going
to follow the current practice?

Thanks, Terry

Those who sacrifice freedom for safety, have neither.

A thought often repeated becomes an act, an act often
repeated becomes a habit, a habit often repeated,
a character and a settled character molds the very
destiny of man.

Man is the master of his own destiny.

"The Voice of Babaji", Page 236
What man thinks, that he becomes