GNUcash

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Wed Aug 11 12:33:01 EDT 2010

>There's no need to keep the files in separate directories.  It is helpful to specify a directory with an obvious name when you save the files: "Where's my data file?" is a FAQ.
>
>Regards,
>John Ralls

Well no, there's no NEED to use separate directories. This is a matter
of how you choose to group your data.

For example, I do use separate directories for the books of each entity
for which I do accounting but that's so I have a directory where goes
ALL stuff for that organization. In other words, besides a subdirectory
for the books I would have subdirectories in that organization's
directory for exported reports (edited to final versions), copies of tax
filings for the organization, etc.

Could do the reverse, one directory for GnuCash books (of all entities),
one directory for copies of the tax filings (for all entities), one for
corresondence (for all entities), etc. It's largely a matter of taste
AND PRIVACY. I would give another officer of each organization an annual
backup copy and that's a LOT easier if it's all in one directory and
just in one directory.

Michael D Novack