Equity vs liability

Paul Schwartz pmjs1115 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 12 10:46:47 EDT 2010

Gnucash [and traditional US/English bookeeping] have 3 categories/types of
accounts: assets/liabilities/equity. It seems that Belgium accounting has only
2. That's a fundamental mismatch. The accounting equation for Gnucash is A = L +
E. It seems as if the Belgium accounting equation is A = L where L is the L + E
of Gnucash/US accounting.

Perhaps for Belgium COA you should make an account called Equity that is a
subaccount of Liabilities and not have any account that is of the Gnucash type
Equity.

HTH

Paul