OFX example

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Sat Aug 14 10:53:24 EDT 2010

Wojciech Piekutowski <w.piekutowski at gmail.com> writes:

> On 13 August 2010 15:39, Derek Atkins <warlord at mit.edu> wrote:
>> Wojciech Piekutowski <w.piekutowski at gmail.com> writes:
>>> I'm working on a script that will convert my monthly bank statement
>>> data to OFX format. I have some questions about this. What version of
>>> OFX is supported? Are there any example OFX files available that will
>>> work well with gnucash? This would greatly help me and possibly other
>>> clients of this bank as I'm planning to release this script under MIT
>>> license.
>>
>> Is there any reason you're using OFX instead of QIF for this?  I think
>> the QIF format would be much easier to generate and doesn't have all the
>> gotcha's that OFX has.
>
> I thought that OFX is the preferred format and it has much better
> import support. I don't find OFX hard to generate, only the specs and
> how GNUCash handles various fields are unclear. I think QIF can't
> accomodate all the data I get from the bank, for example destination
> account. I hope that by using OFX GNUCash will properly handle
> transactions between my accounts in other banks.

QIF can indeed handle destination account.  If it's an Income/Expense
account you use a QIF Category:

LQIFCategory

If it's an Asset/Liability destination account then you use a QIF
Account:

L[QIFAccount]

During the import process you map QIF Categories and QIF Accounts to GNC
Accounts.

Happy to Help!