OFX example

Wojciech Piekutowski w.piekutowski at gmail.com
Sat Aug 14 07:30:22 EDT 2010

On 13 August 2010 15:39, Derek Atkins <warlord at mit.edu> wrote:
> Wojciech Piekutowski <w.piekutowski at gmail.com> writes:
>> I'm working on a script that will convert my monthly bank statement
>> data to OFX format. I have some questions about this. What version of
>> OFX is supported? Are there any example OFX files available that will
>> work well with gnucash? This would greatly help me and possibly other
>> clients of this bank as I'm planning to release this script under MIT
>> license.
>
> Is there any reason you're using OFX instead of QIF for this?  I think
> the QIF format would be much easier to generate and doesn't have all the
> gotcha's that OFX has.

I thought that OFX is the preferred format and it has much better
import support. I don't find OFX hard to generate, only the specs and
how GNUCash handles various fields are unclear. I think QIF can't
accomodate all the data I get from the bank, for example destination
account. I hope that by using OFX GNUCash will properly handle
transactions between my accounts in other banks.