Custom Reports

Colin Scott gnucash at double-bars.net
Mon Aug 16 17:20:00 EDT 2010

> How do I delete the first "Chart of Accounts" custom report, or
> permanently edit the custom report?

The short answer is you can't.

The slightly longer answer is that you need to make your changes, and
then save the report with a new name - eg, "Chart of Accounts (V2)" - and
then work from there.  However, you cannot actually remove any name once
it is in there.  And beware - you will often find that your new report
appears with the same name as its predecessor rather than the new one, so
you will end up with two entries in the list with the same name.

You, as so many, have stumbled on the single biggest weakness in the
reporting system, if not of gnucash itself.  All of this has been known
since I started using gnucash well over a year ago, but apparently it is
considered a lower priority than adding new features.

If it sounds churlish to criticise a free product so roundly, then so be
it - although I make these remarks more in sorrow than in anger.  However,
I find it hard to understand the priorities of the team (who have
otherwise produced a remarkable, and remarkably useful, product) to leave
untouched such glaringly awful design - let alone the glaring bugs
therein! -  whilst adding features that whilst possibly nice do not have
nearly the same impact on the product's overall utility.

Colin