accounting period

Tarlika Elisabeth Schmitz gnucash at numerixtechnology.de
Thu Aug 19 06:48:55 EDT 2010

On Thu, 19 Aug 2010 20:01:12 +1000
Elizabeth Dodd <edodd at billiau.net> wrote:

>On Thu, 19 Aug 2010, Tarlika Elisabeth Schmitz wrote:
>> The UK tax year starts on 6th April.
>>
>> In Preferences->Accounting Period I can either enter a generic date
>> (e.g. start of year) or a specific date, which I have to amend
>> at the beginning of every tax year.
>>
>> Is this the way to set my accountingperiod from 6th April to 5th
>> April?
>

>This could be a more general question regarding locale.
>How will we set accounting periods in Gnucash according to locale?
>I assume that first we collect the information, and then some one has
>to code to read that information.

It would be too specific and impossible to maintain code that
sets default accounting periods for different locales! It would not
even make much sense as companies can set their own accounting period.

The only thing that might make sense is being able to set a different
start date for an annual accounting period (other than 1st Jan). But
even this is a lot programming effort considered the minor
inconvenience for the user.

It was just that an earlier post pointed out the possibility of using
generic start and end dates in reports such as accounting period in
order for the reports to remain generic.

--

Best Regards,
Tarlika Elisabeth Schmitz