how can i change my home directory?

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Thu Aug 19 09:55:20 EDT 2010

On Aug 18, 2010, at 11:24 PM, Jennie wrote:

> I've just installed gnucash for the first time and it's all gone well. Only
> thing is I have just noticed all the files accumulating in my home directory
> and would like to make an alternative directory so that I don't have such a
> mess (I didn't realise this would happen so made it the same directory as
> all my other accounting stuff). Does anyone know how or if I can do this?

1. Create the directory.
2. Start Gnucash and open your accounting file (it should do that automatically).
3. Select File>Save As from the menu.
4. In the resulting dialog box, navigate to your new directory, adjust the filename if you like, and select "Save".
5. Switch to the file manager program (Windows Explorer, Finder, Nautilus, etc.), delete the original file, and copy all of the files which start with your original filename and end in .log or .xac to your new directory.

Regards,
John Ralls