AW: 2.3.15/tax package: basic questions

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Aug 19 13:08:53 EDT 2010

"Jannick Asmus" <jannick.news at gmail.com> writes:

>> I'm not sure what you mean by exporting to sql.
>
> Let me clarify: The latest (unstable) versions export the gnucash file
> to an sql to have it as a database. In this kind of export the tax
> attributes associated to accounts are not exported.

By "exported" I suspect you mean "saved as"...   If Save-As to a SQL DB
does not save the tax attributes, that's a bug that should be reported
and fixed.

Note that this is one of many reasons why 2.3.x series are not
recommended for real data, and why the SQL backends are still considered
experimental and not production.

[snip]
>> As it stands now, the Tax Report and the assignments of tax codes to
>> accounts that is done through Edit->Tax Options is only applicable to
>> US Income taxes which must be filed in USD (which is why the tax
>> report is USD by default and cannot be changed). The only exception is
>> if your locale is de_DE,
>
> ... it is de_DE
>
>> you can get a German version which I believe
>
> ... no, I can't :( This is why I am posting this.

You can if you --enable-locale-specific-tax during configure when you
compile GnuCash.  Did you do that?

>> is something of a prototype (not fully functional?) if the software is
>> built in a certain way.
>
> I installed it on WinVista with the .exe-file someone nice built from
> source. Building is far beyond of my skills. So what I am having on my
> machine after installing 2.3.15 is a well built current version.

Which probably did NOT enable locale-specific tax, which is why you
don't see the de_DE version.  See above.