Gnucash + postgres.

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Thu Dec 2 12:37:53 EST 2010

Hi,

On Thu, December 2, 2010 12:14 pm, ALbert Gráfica - Suporte wrote:
> Hi to everyone.
>
> I'm trying use gnucash + postgres but, got a little big problem.
>
> We can conect to the postgres db
>
> so we import a qif file into the db.
>
> Almost 58000 trasaction.
>
> when we try to open this account.
>
> It better take a coffe in other country, because its realy slow. But
> realy realy slow, when it open, sometime freeze the computer.
>
> Just to tell: dell vosto 3500 core i5 4gb ram.
>
> Just to tell:
>
> gnucash 2.2.9
> gnucash 2.3.5
>
> windows or linux.
>
> Some help?

I'm sure you know this, but:

a) 2.2.x does not support Postgres (or any other DB, for that matter)
b) 2.3.x is still in testing, although it's getting close to the 2.4.0
   release
c) 2.3.5 is OLD and you should definitely upgrade to the most recent
   2.3.x release, 2.3.17..  HOWEVER, there is no upgrade path for
   the SQL from 2.3.5 to 2.3.17, so you will either have to save your
   file as XML first, or you'll have to start over with 2.3.17.

As for the slowness...  I don't know if 2.3.17 will help.  GnuCash always
reads all the data into RAM when it starts.  How slow are we talking about
here?  30s?  60s?  20m?