close books

John A. Mason jmason at masondrywall.com
Wed Dec 8 14:23:24 EST 2010

One way that I use GnuCash and the Close Books tool is to not have ANY
transactions on December 31st. I move them all to December 30th. Then
all reports I do end on December 30th for the year. That way December 31
is ALL my close books transactions. That means starting January 1, all
my reports work beautifully. Then I simply set my End of Period settings
for the year to end on December 30 (and yes, also set them to start on
January 1st... that means December 31st "never happened"... or in the
words of the skipper penguin from Madagascar.... "You didn't see
anything....")

Then my reports are run from beginning of period to end of period (jan 1
to dec 30) and I never "see" those zeroing transactions. PLUS, my jan 1
are always back at $0.00.

Now, every so often (I use the new version 2.3.15 with sqlite3 files,
not the XML gnucash format of old) I will use the command line to
execute a query removing old transactions (5 years old or so). Nobody
cares after about 5 years... and surely anything that's life or death
can be researched via banks, stores, etc. But really, since I'm using
the sqlite database formats, having a 20MB file doesn't cause a problem.
So I could leave essentially 20 years of data in there and it wouldn't
be an issue. But it also means you can use other sqlite access programs
to manipulate the data or even fix a problem, or in my case, sum the old
transactions in to a single transaction and remove the old ones so that
my accounts aren't 500k+ transactions long!

--
John A. Mason
Director Systems Administration