Usability questions

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sat Dec 11 12:52:00 EST 2010

On Dec 11, 2010, at 3:21 AM, Talengix wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I'd like to suggest a couple things that would make GnuCash more
> user-friendly and intuitive. Maybe they already exist, maybe they don't...
> if so please enlighten me. If not, perhaps they will be considered as
> additions to the development road map?
>
> 1. On the ledger screen, once it fills up with entries there is no way to
> move the blank transaction row at the bottom of the page up for easier
> working. The blank transaction line is pinned to the bottom of the screen.
> Therefore, the user is forced to work in a very tight space the whole time.
> Not only is the space tight, but it is confusing since the info in the
> bottom pane of the application as well as the windows task bar are all
> crammed together. It should function like excel in the way that when you get
> to the bottom of the page you can still use the scroll bar to create some
> space below the last transaction for some breathing room.

So make the window smaller and move it away from the windows taskbar.

In addition to the "double line" mode that Colin points out, there are also three display modes: "Basic Ledger" is the default, which shows all transactions as a single line (and which enables the quick entry of simple transactions that Derek told you about); "Auto-Split Ledger" opens the splits on the active transaction as if you had pressed the "Split" button; and "Transaction Journal" shows all of the splits on all transactions. You can set this as a default in the "Register Defaults" preferences tab as well.

Regards,
John Ralls