Close Books

Timothy Wight tim.wight.uk at googlemail.com
Mon Dec 13 19:48:13 EST 2010

I have come to this discussion rather late, but would like to add my
twopenny worth.

I close my books every year.  I have to do this because my accountant
likes to see opening balances in my reports, in fact he insists upon it
and gets quite shirty if they do not match his closing balances from the
preceding year.

I create a closing balance account, eg:
Equity:Closing_Balances:Close_2010 and use the built in 'Close' function
to create closing transactions for Income and Expenses to the closing
account.  (The resulting balance can now be posted as required to
'Retained Earnings'.)  I then manually create similar transactions for
all other Asset, Liability and Equity accounts.  In order to split this
task I choose to make a separate split transaction for each account
type.  (It would be great if a developer could extend the close option,
perhaps as an option, to do this for me -- as it is a little tedious.)
Because, of course, my accounts all balance, I end up with a zero
balance in the close account and a zero Trial Balance.  I did not
mention earlier that I also make a 'Snapshot' copy file of the year
before closing in order that I can run reports on that year in future.

I now create an opening balance account, eg:
Equity:Opening_Balances:Open_2011.  For each transaction in the above
closing account I create a reversing transaction dated the following
day, omitting the Income and Expense transactions, then cut and paste
them to the opening account.  (This too is a tedious task which usefully
could be automated as another optional extension of the close function.)

A look at any non income/expense register will now show a transaction
closing to zero followed by an opening balance returning to the earlier
amount.  As my financial year is April to March I do not have the luxury
of using New Years Day, however I often post my 31st March transactions
on the 30th in order to keep the 31st clear for closing entries.
Reports for the new year show an opening balance for each account.

Hoping this is of some help.

Tim