Tracking Money in Savings Account

John A. Mason jmason at masondrywall.com
Tue Dec 14 09:13:54 EST 2010

I use sub-accounts. My checking account has 24 different sub accounts in
it... "Envelopes" if you will. My Checking account itself is actually a
placeholder account... meaning you can't have any transactions in it.
Instead, ALL transactions are in a sub-account of the checking account.
That way, when I look at the book (the account list) I see in the total
column the sum of the sub-accounts... and that's the amount I use for
reconciliation.

Another thing I've used before was scheduled transactions. I had my
usual expenses (water, electricity, etc.) rounded up to the next hundred
dollars. Then I put in a scheduled transaction to automatically pop up
90 days ahead of time. Planning to make sure I had enough for those
grossly high amounts means that when I actually get the bill, there is
ample left over to either pile into savings or throw at a debt to pay
off. Your mileage may vary.

--
John A. Mason
Director Systems Administration