Tracking Money in Savings Account

Anthony Dardis adardis at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 14:43:02 EST 2010

You could treat these envelopes as liabilities: something you "owe" to the
anticipated purchase, and you make the purchase by transferring funds from
that liability to the expense account.

(You could think of your "New Car" as a kind of credit card: every month,
you borrow money from it and deposit it in a savings account, and then
when you buy the car, you spend what's in the savings account on the
actual car, and record it as a transaction reducing your liability.)

I just handled a security deposit that way: when the renters gave me the
deposit, I recorded it as a transaction which increased the liability
account Liabilities:Security Deposit by way of a deposit to a savings
account where the money actually resides. When I returned the deposit, I
transferred money from the savings account to checking, then transferred
 from checking to the liability account to indicate the actual return of
funds to them.

The disadvantage of all this for the purpose of the "envelope" system is
that you have to make more transfers; also, at least to my mind, this is
conceptually kinda harder to follow, although it all makes sense, I think.

Derek may well be right that you really shouldn't think of it as a
liability -- as I've learned to say here, IANAA (I am not an accountant)
-- and the subaccount approach really is cleaner and simpler.