Tracking Money in Savings Account

Wayne Bird wrbird at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 15 17:58:04 EST 2010

OK, another scenario, same situation:

This is what actually happens:
I receive an inheritance check for $aaa.Deposit the inheritance check into savings.Owe dentist $bbb.Need to make $ccc monthly payments from checking acct until debt is paid off.I'm using the inheritance money that's in the savings acct, therefore I need to first transfer the money from my savings acct to my checking acct.  Then I write a check to the dentist.
This is what I do in GnuCash:
Accounts to set up:

Assets:Bank:CheckingAssets:Bank:Checking:Healthcare:Dental

  Assets:Bank:SavingsAssets:Bank:Savings:InheritanceIncome:Inheritance
Expenses:Healthcare:DentalLiabilities:Dentist

Enter $aaa deposit in the Assets:Bank:Savings register to transfer from Income:Inheritance to Asset:Bank:Savings:Inheritance (I can enter this transaction using either the Income:Inheritance register or the Asset:Bank:Savings register)Enter $bbb in Equity:Opening Balances register to transfer $bbb from Equity:Opening Balances to Liabilities:Dentist.  This creates the account to show how much I owe the dentist.
Enter $ccc withdrawal in the Assets:Bank:Savings register to transfer from Assets:Bank:Savings:Inheritance to Assets:Bank:Checking:Healthcare:Dental (this action will decrease my savings acct balance by $ccc and increase my checking acct balance by $ccc)Enter check withdrawal of the amount of $ccc from Assets:Bank:Checking to transfer $ccc from Assets:Bank:Checking:Healthcare:Dental to Expenses:Healthcare:DentalNow I'm stuck with how to decrease Liabilities:Dentist account.  Where did I go wrong?
Thanks for your help!

Wayne