Tracking Money in Savings Account

Anthony Dardis adardis at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 19:23:42 EST 2010

(1) (without envelopes)

(a) incur the debt with the dentist:
	increase Expenses:dental by $bbb, by increasing the Liabilities:Dentist
by $bbb

(b) receive the money from the inheritance:
	increase assets:savings by $aaa, by increasing Income:Inheritance by $aaa

(c) make a payment to the dentist:
	decrease savings by $ccc, increase checking by $ccc  [that's the transfer
you arrange for your bank to make]
	decrease dentist liability by $ccc, decrease checking by $ccc  [that's
the check you write to the dentist]

[apologies for the "increase/decrease" language; if I were an accountant,
I'd use the debit/credit language, but since GnuCash gives the nice labels
for these things, you should be able to see how any given transaction
affects two different accounts (usually in the opposite directions, but it
depends on what kind of account you are using -- for example, the (a) and
(b) transactions increase both accounts).]

(2) (with envelopes)

(a) incur the debt with the dentist:
	increase dental expense by $bbb, by increasing the dentist liability by
$bbb

(b) receive the money from the inheritance:
	increase assets:savings:Medical Envelope by $aaa, by increasing Income by
$aaa
	(or else split it, so some of it goes to the Medical envelope, some goes
to other envelopes, some just goes into savings)

(c) make a payment to the dentist:
	decrease assets:savings:Medical Envelope by $ccc, increase checking by
$ccc
	decreast dentist liability by $ccc$, decrease checking by $ccc