Tracking Money in Savings Account

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Thu Dec 16 08:01:49 EST 2010

>Now if I wanted to see how much accumulated money
> I've spent on movies, all I would need to do is look at the balance of
>Expense:Movies.  If I wanted to know how much money I have to spend on movies, then I just need to look at the balance of Asset:Bank:Movies.
>
>Are the two above paragraphs correct?

Perhaps ---- but I think there is a bit of confusion. GnuCash is able to
manage "books" (a record of ACTUAL financial transactions) and "budgets"
(projected/planned transactions). In "standard" accounting both are used
without (in the sense meant here) of "envelopes"*. The idea is that the
actual transactions represent the actuals unconstrained by what is
planned. That the disciple of sticking to the budget is external to
either the budget or the books. In effect, the "envelope" method was
devised as an aid for people who had difficulty with "sticking to a budget".

* Well yes, I do have "subaccounts" (designated funds) within the main
savings account of organizations of which I am treasurer. For the simple
reason that these "funds" aren't large enough to justify individual
accounts. But again, these do not represent envelopes restricting actual
transactions nor do the actual transactions affect these sub accounts.
What happens is "as allowed" funds a transfer transaction moves funds
from one of these to the main unrestricted account. Say that restricted
account is monies donated to help cover expenses of type X. Well once a
quarter (or once a year) or whatever would be allowed to have used those
restricted monies so transfer that amount (up to the total of expenses
of type X). But nothing prevents the organization from spending MORE
than that on X (from its unrestricted funds).

Michael