Tracking Money in Savings Account

Wayne Bird wrbird at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 17 13:03:11 EST 2010

James,

Thanks for the example!  This is very helpful, but again, I don't want to force GnuCash into being an envelope system, if there is a better way.  Or at least my goal is to learn as much as I can about the "standard" method.

Now that said, I find it interesting that under the Accounts tab the checking acct total is $1,813.00, but when I open the checking account I have a balance of $1,400.  I would imagine this is because the Accounts tab is giving the overall total (subaccounts included).  Whereas, when you go into the checking account, it's only showing the total for that particular account (no subaccounts included).  I can see how this can get ugly.  But this will be the case any time there's a subaccount in checking.  Yes, balancing can be interesting.  I don't remember who it was, but someone posted that their checking account was only a place holder for all their subaccounts.  I wonder how that works for balancing?

Wayne