Tracking Money in Savings Account

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Fri Dec 17 16:47:53 EST 2010

Wayne Bird wrote:

> Michael,
>
> > Bookkeeping is about ACTUAL transactions, not transactions that
> might or
> > might not occur. For projected transactions (planning) we use a
> "budget".
>
> So, it sounds like you do not create subaccounts for future
> transactions (i.e. saving for a car), but use a budget.  I haven't
> used the budget feature in GnuCash, does it work well?

Not necessarily. You might indeed want to have (within savings) a number
of dedicated sub accounts. But that wouldn't be related to the original
question about ACTIVE "envelope" sub accounts. I did describe accounting
for "funds" as would normally be done and your example would fit that
category.

You would create a sub account under savings and into this account you
would deposit funds on some regular or irregular basis. For example,
when you made a deposit to your savings account you might decide this
should be split, so much of that deposit into "general savings" and so
much into "car fund". You TOTAL for the "savings account" parent account
would should match the statements you get from the bank. But see, you
would NOT in the ordinary course of things be making withdrawals from
this fund and certainly not frequently (there might be an emergency
situation where you had to accept a setback in car savings to pay some
emergency bill -- so you credit that transfer from the savings account
to the checking account from the "car savings  rather than the "general
savings").

In my example the fund was money contributed toward a certain class of
expenses. The point I was making is that the expenses would actually be
paid form the checking account (like any others) but no attempt to
adjust on the fly but just once a quarter (or in my specific case, once
a year for the 3rd quarter report as expenses of this class would be
seasonal). Thus in the treasurer's report to the board the amount
remaining in the fund would be correct because there was ONE transfer
from this restricted fund to unrestricted funds (for the total of that
class of expense). See, nothing prevents us from spending MORE than what
is available in that (restricted) fund. We just shouldn't be using THAT
money for something else, it's restriction applies until we have
expenses that qualify for its use. But money is considered "fungible" so
doesn't matter which  account the actual dollars came from.

So called "envelope budgeting" is another matter where you pretend that
the envelopes are physical envelopes from which you take physical
dollars to spend for THAT purpose (and can't if they "aren't there").
Intended as an aid for those who find it difficult to stick to a "paper"
budget.

Michael D Novack