Best way to share bills?

Yawar Amin yawar.amin at gmail.com
Sun Dec 19 23:12:38 EST 2010

Hi,

On 2010-12-19, at 20:43, Daniel Trezub wrote:

> […]
>
> When I pay the rent, I register the following transaction with splits:
> From Assets:Bank $500,00
>  Split Expenses:Rent $250,00 --> This way I can know how much I've spent in
> Rent this month (50% of the rent value)
>  Split Liabilities:BeautyfulWife $250 --> This way I can know how much she
> owes me for Rent (50% of the rent value)
>
> No problem until now. The problem comes when she pays the cable bill ($400)
> I register the following transaction:
> From Liabilities:BeautyfulWife $200 --> It's like if she is paying me $200,
> right?
> To Expenses:Cable $200 --> It's like I have spent $200 in cable

The above sounds like you’re splitting the rent and cable bills equally. The transactions should look like:

Pay Rent
========
Expenses:Rent                  Dr $250
Assets:AccountsReceivable:Wife Dr  250
Assets:Bank                    Cr  500

Pay Cable
=========
Expenses:Cable                 Dr $200
Assets:AccountsReceivable:Wife Cr  200

So after these two transactions, your wife owes you $50, which you can check by looking at the balance of the Assets:AccountsReceivable:Wife account.

> The cable bill is $400, but I have no idea where to put the other $200.

The other $200 is in your wife’s records, because it’s paid by her.

HTH,

Yawar