Tracking Money in Savings Account

John Layman john.layman at laymanandlayman.com
Tue Dec 21 09:40:34 EST 2010

This thread has confirmed a timeless verity" "When your only tool is a
hammer, every problem looks like a nail."

The cautionary corollary, of course, warns that if you're comfortable
wielding your hammer, you'd better watch that you don't keep hammering away
when you have some other tool in hand.

As a former Microsoft Money user, I know that force fitting the envelope
concept onto its accounts-and-categories data model would be like driving
nails with a bench vise.   GnuCash has a more flexible data model, but it
would require bending and twisting the software completely out of shape to
force fit envelopes onto it.  The issue here is not merely one of failing to
understand the proper use of the tool, it's a failure to clearly think
through the problem to be solved.  If you insist on viewing a problem only
through the lens of a pre-conceived solution, you're unlikely ever to really
understand (or solve) the problem.