Classifications or TAGS

Phil Longstaff plongstaff at rogers.com
Tue Dec 21 13:22:32 EST 2010

In Quicken, classes allow another way of aggregating or marking a split in a way
which is orthogonal to the account.

Using cars as an example, I might have classes "2010BMW" and "2008Civic".  A
transaction involving gas would be:

Bank           $50.00CR
   Expenses:Auto:Gas/2010BMW     $50.00DB

or

Liabilities:VISA    $60.00CR
   Expenses:Auto:Maintenance/2008Civic       $60.00DB

A summary report could be generated for a time period:

                                        2010BMW            2008Civic
Expenses:Auto:Gas               $50.00                   $0.00
Expenses:Auto:Maintenance    $0.00                  $60.00

I currently use sub-accounts for each account (Expenses:Auto:Gas:2010BMW and
Expenses:Auto:Gas:2008Civic, and same for maintenance), but there is no way to
provide the tabular report Quicken could.

Another example of classes would be if I own rental properties, in which case
both rental income and expenses can have class assigned to splits.

Different accounting programs handle this idea in different ways.  With Quicken,
any split could have "accountName/className" instead of just "accountName".
With a larger accounting system I've used, each account had a number and the
number was split into segments.  Each segment had numeric codes.  Given N
segments, the account number space was then an N-dimensional cube, so for a
college, for example, they could have segments for
expenseType/department/building if they wanted and could track supplies for the
English Department in the ABC building.  In this case, the account number might
be 410-10-25 where 410=supplies, 10=English Dept and 25=ABC building.  In most
cases, 00 was "general" or "not tracked" so they might have 410-10-00 if they
don't care about the building.  However, if they try to allocate heating costs
to the departments, they might have 420-10-25.  Quicken's use of classes is
essentially the same as this, where N=2.  For personal or small business use, I
can't see more than N=2 being required.

 Phil
---------
I used to be a hypochondriac AND a kleptomaniac. So I took something for it.