Classifications or TAGS

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Wed Dec 22 05:10:39 EST 2010

On 21 December 2010 22:47, Ian X Waddington <iwaddox at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
> A draft document which could be used as the basis of a specification for
> adding Classifications to GnuCash can be found here
> <http://www.waddo.co.uk/uploads/New%20Feature%20Specification%20GnuCash%20Cl
> assifications%20v0.1.pdf> .

Excellent work.  A couple of points on initial reading.

I think there is a typo in second para of Introduction, I think it
should say 'introduction of Classifications'.

I presume the concept of Classifications may apply to a split rather
than a complete transaction.  A single transaction could include
splits against different classes.  In the case of a simple transaction
(ie out of one account and into the other) does the class apply to
both splits or just one of them?  I don't know what the answer to this
should be. Section 3 needs to be extended to show what the transaction
looks like in the split view of a transaction.

In section seven it is suggested that up to two classes could be
applied to each transaction.  I wonder whether that is necessary.  For
me personally I don't think I need this.  I am not suggesting it
should not be done, just questioning whether there is a need.

Also I wonder about the requirement for hierarchical classes.  Again
for me personally I don't think I need it.

Colin