sql version

Roberto Hernandez roberto.hfer at gmail.com
Fri Dec 24 12:38:41 EST 2010

On Fri, Dec 24, 2010 at 6:11 PM, Colin Law <clanlaw at googlemail.com> wrote:
> I think possibly the first question to ask is why you want to use sql.
>  The answer to that will help to determine which one (if any) you
> should use.  I believe most will not benefit from using sql and should
> stick to xml.

There should be a couple of advantages when using SQL:

1. Better performance - With the right indices, a the database backend
should fare much better than XML as the number of transactions grows.
Although, as I've recently learned, the code will have to undergo some
changes in order for that to actually happen (see thread:
http://www.mail-archive.com/gnucash-devel@gnucash.org/msg24855.html).
@Developers: Is there a target version for migrating the code to
"retrieving the data as-needed"?
2. Reporting - Unless you're guile / scheme savvy, the best option for
creating custom reports is to run an SQL query (it's a lot easier than
reading an XML file).

IMHO one feature that should be implemented before sqlite3 becomes the
"native" format is to re-enable the "Save" button (instead of saving
on the spot). I'm assuming that several users (like myself) would like
the possibility to double check transactions before making them
permanent.

Roberto