sql version

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Fri Dec 24 22:28:26 EST 2010

On Fri, December 24, 2010 12:38 pm, Roberto Hernandez wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 24, 2010 at 6:11 PM, Colin Law <clanlaw at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> I think possibly the first question to ask is why you want to use sql.
>>  The answer to that will help to determine which one (if any) you
>> should use.  I believe most will not benefit from using sql and should
>> stick to xml.
>
> There should be a couple of advantages when using SQL:
>
> 1. Better performance - With the right indices, a the database backend
> should fare much better than XML as the number of transactions grows.
> Although, as I've recently learned, the code will have to undergo some
> changes in order for that to actually happen (see thread:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/gnucash-devel@gnucash.org/msg24855.html).
> @Developers: Is there a target version for migrating the code to
> "retrieving the data as-needed"?
> 2. Reporting - Unless you're guile / scheme savvy, the best option for
> creating custom reports is to run an SQL query (it's a lot easier than
> reading an XML file).
>
> IMHO one feature that should be implemented before sqlite3 becomes the
> "native" format is to re-enable the "Save" button (instead of saving
> on the spot). I'm assuming that several users (like myself) would like
> the possibility to double check transactions before making them
> permanent.

Sorry, Roberto, but the real-time commit feature is one of the main
features of all the SQL backends (including SQLite).  Much of the benefit
of something like SQLite is immediate save so you don't lose any data if
the application crashes.  So no, the "Save" button will not be "enabled"
for SQL backends.

HOWEVER, what we do need is an "Undo" feature, so you can go back and undo
the changes you made.  That would effectively give you what you want, the
ability to double-check and undo mistakes.