Classifications or TAGS

Ulrike Fischer gnucash at nililand.de
Tue Dec 28 08:30:45 EST 2010

Am Tue, 21 Dec 2010 10:22:32 -0800 (PST) schrieb Phil Longstaff:

> In Quicken, classes allow another way of aggregating or marking a split in a way
> which is orthogonal to the account.
>
> Using cars as an example, I might have classes "2010BMW" and "2008Civic".  A
> transaction involving gas would be:
>
> Bank           $50.00CR
>    Expenses:Auto:Gas/2010BMW     $50.00DB
>
> or
>
> Liabilities:VISA    $60.00CR
>    Expenses:Auto:Maintenance/2008Civic       $60.00DB
>
> A summary report could be generated for a time period:
>
>                                         2010BMW            2008Civic
> Expenses:Auto:Gas               $50.00                   $0.00
> Expenses:Auto:Maintenance    $0.00                  $60.00
>
> I currently use sub-accounts for each account (Expenses:Auto:Gas:2010BMW and
> Expenses:Auto:Gas:2008Civic, and same for maintenance), but there is no way to
> provide the tabular report Quicken could.

I'm adding a new orthogonal axe by using "report accounts". In your
example I would do something like this:

 Bank                            $50.00CR
 Expenses:Auto:Gas                              $50.00DB
 Report:Cars                     $50
 Report:Cars:BMW:variablecosts                  $50

There is no problem to add a third axe. E.g. if part of the costs
are from a holiday I can add to the split

 Report:Holidays                 $30
 Report:Holidays:2010:transport                 $30

Currently I have 4 main report categories: fix income, fix expenses,
tax relevant things and holidays and it is *much* easier to handle
than with quicken.

--
Ulrike Fischer