personal and business

Flynn, Oweson O Oweson.Flynn at standardbank.co.za
Thu Dec 30 00:43:58 EST 2010

Hi,

I've been running a small consulting company for 14 years.  Initially I used Quicken, but about 3 years I switched over to Gnucash, and have never looked back!

I have one chart of accounts for BOTH my business and personal accounts.  I have current (bank) accounts for both.  I don't use Gnucash to produce reports that I submit to the tax authorities, but I do produce reports that my accountant uses.  I track receivables and VAT for the business.

I have to 'trees' of Expenses and Income - HE (for home Expenses) and HI (for home - or personal - income).  Similarly I have BE (for Business expenses) and BI for Business Income.

It works great for me - I have probably a couple of hundred transactions a month (credit card, banking and business).  I produce the reports I need to complete the VAT submissions in a couple of minutes.

The double work of keeping two separate sets of books would kill me - keeping them reconciled would drive me insane!

So (going against what every one else has suggested) I'd say keeping the one set is feasible, and a lot simpler. I don't dispute that a 'proper' accountant might advise against it - just keep an eye on whether this strategy is right for you!

Oweson

Message: 1