Gnucash 2.4.0 (Windows)

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Thu Dec 30 20:23:28 EST 2010

Hi,

On Thu, December 30, 2010 7:54 pm, Mortimer wrote:
> On 12/30/2010 17:25, Derek Atkins wrote:
>> Have you checked whether it's actually trying to get out onto the
>> Internet
>> or just accessing the local host via 127.0.0.1?
>>

> As I asked in a different message, what difference does it make?

It makes a LOT of difference, which is why we're asking the question.

> 1. 127.0.0.1 is not my "address"

Actually, yes, 127.0.0.1 *IS* your address.  127.0.0.1 is "localhost",
which means it's using the IP Loopback adapter.  Or at least it's supposed
to be doing that.  Some versions of windows do not properly install the
loopback adapter which causes 127.0.0.1 to go out (and back to itself) via
the Internet adapter.  But it's still just another way for the machine to
talk to itself.

> 2. It should not be "calling" 127.0.0.1 or anywhere else w/o the users
> permission

That's what I'm trying to ascertain.  If it's calling 127.0.0.1, then it
is just trying to contact another process on the local machine, and
windows is putting it through a different path.  This is the crux of the
ORBIT bug.

You are absolutely right that it should not be calling anywhere else!
However 127.0.0.1 is just one way of talking to itself.  That's why I'm
asking the question.

> 3. I do not know 127.0.0.1, I do not know what information is being
> passed to/from that address, I wish to block ALL traffic between gnucash
> and 127.0.0.1. Doing so makes gnucash 2.4.0 worthless

Well, if you don't want to talk to yourself I suppose that is your
prerogative.  The fact that microsoft hides localhost from its users is
somewhat of a disservice.  I'm sorry you don't know what 127.0.0.1 is.
I'm also sorry you do not know what information is being passed between
processes on your local machine.

So I'll ask my question again:   Have you checked whether it's actually
trying to get out onto the Internet at large or is it just accessing the
local host via 127.0.0.1?

Thanks,