Total Assets on Accounts List

FireFly fireflys_98 at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 31 11:28:22 EST 2010

--- On Fri, 12/31/10, Mike C. <subscribe307 at verizon.net> wrote:

> I have been using gnucash for about 9
> months after giving up on Quicken
> and am still confused about the totals on the Accounts
> list.  The Total
> (USD) column for Assets does not seem to match
> anything.  The total
> assets at the bottom of the page seems to be equal to
> assets minus
> liabilities from the balance sheet report for the
> period.  The total
> period income less expenses is equal to the profit at the
> bottom of the
> page so it all seems to make sense except the total assets
> in the chart
> of accounts.
> Any explanation would be appreciated.

Total USD column for the "parent" Asset account should match the total of all the accounts under Asset (in my case I have all my bank accounts, my house, my cars, etc under the Asset account)

The Grand Total Assets (at the bottom of the page) seems to actually be the present value of Assets - Present value of Liabilities - Present value of Loans (at least for me)

As you stated, profit is Income - expenses, although I'm not sure that's 100% (in my case it doesn't line up to either present or Total, but I wonder if my use of multi-currency impacts it.)

- James Duerr

E-mail: FireFlys_98 at yahoo.com
Discover a lost art - play Marbles. May 2004
www.marillion.com