Travel Expense Advice...

Alan Anderson foilistforever at gmail.com
Fri Dec 31 16:44:54 EST 2010

David,

Thanks for the prompt response.  I hadn't thought of using the Action field,
but it certainly seems like a simple approach--depending on what is needed.
The only catch might be that if the field is used for something else I
cannot enter a new action--right?!  For example, if I write a check while on
the trip, I would want to put the check number in the Action field, but I
couldn't put both the check number and a trip identifier--correct me if I'm
wrong.

Anyway, it got me thinking about what exactly I want to accomplish;
unfortunately, now I'm just more confused. ;)  There are two aspects of what
I want to accomplish.  The first is to track expenses associated with this
particular trip.  While I'm not getting directly reimbursed--I'm
self-employed--I do need to know what expenses were associated with that
trip.  In a former life, I would simply fill out an expense report and
submit it to my employer.  Now, I just want to be able to give a similar
expense report to my tax accountant--although it might be nice to see how it
all fits together if I'm doing multiple trips per year.  I guess I was
thinking of entering the transactions into GnuCash and then running a report
that generated an expense report-like result.

The second is to keep my bank balances reconciled.  Using a trip-specific
account solves this problem, but it also changes all of my remembered
transactions--and I have quite a few.  I could give each description an
extra string of text, but that requires me to be very fastidious about
entering the same string.

Right now, I have 100 or more receipts to enter, so I'm a little daunted by
the task.  I especially do not want to have to reenter all of the receipts
if I decide there's a better approach later.  I'm also not that keen on
entering them all as split transactions because that seems a little tedious
as well.  Having said all of that, in the time I spent researching this, I
could probably have entered all of the transactions and been done. ;)

I didn't follow the Tag/Categories discussion too deeply, but in retrospect
I could see how that might work.  I could tag each of the transactions with
a trip-specific identifier, and then they would be easier to find later.
This could make generating an expense report easier to because you would
simply filter by tag and then sort/aggregate by account.

Thanks again.

Al