Using Account Codes

Jeff Kletsky gnucash at allycomm.com
Mon Feb 1 17:51:54 EST 2010

I'll stick up for the approach -- In California, we have to deal with
paying sales tax by state, county, and then occasionally by municipality
(and sometimes worse in some municipalities with internal tax
districts). For example:

Liabilities:Taxes:Sales Tax:San Francisco
Liabilities:Taxes:Sales Tax:San Mateo
Liabilities:Taxes:Sales Tax:Santa Clara
Liabilities:Taxes:Sales Tax:Santa Clara:Campbell
Liabilities:Taxes:Sales Tax:Santa Cruz
Liabilities:Taxes:Sales Tax:Santa Cruz:Capitola
Liabilities:Taxes:Sales Tax:Santa Cruz:Santa Cruz
Liabilities:Taxes:Sales Tax:Santa Cruz:Scotts Valley
Liabilities:Taxes:Sales Tax:Santa Cruz:Watsonville

After going cross-eyed last night dealing with filling out the 2009
forms, I'm now thinking that remembering and typing something

"stscz"

is a lot easier than

"l:t:s:santa cr"

I'm liking that idea a lot...

...yes, there are ways I could "artificially" name my accounts so it
would be easier as well.

Is it worth revamping the auto-complete function? Jury is out on that one.

-jeff